Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Antiques Garage, NYC - Where The Real Dealers Reside


I was always fascinated, even as a child, by antiques and ancient times. I always felt I should have been born in the 17th or 18th century. They really had a big stone castle with authentic furniture.                                                                                          
                                                                                             -          Margaret O'Brien

Mirror Mirror On The Wall
Bronze lamps, circus capes, books on palmistry, boutonnieres, tea cozies, and leather baby shoes from yesteryears – Wondering what’s common between these words! Read on to find out the one place I found them all! 

If I had the choice of living in a home that was filled with antique artifacts from over the ages, I would have been a happy little princess who wouldn’t mind living indoors. So, well, am I glad or what that my folks didn’t stock the house with too many antiques. Now I am happier off as the backpacker in the outdoors, where I can collect my own set of antiques for my nomadic life.

Words Make For A Pretty Picture
On one of my random visits to NYC, I chanced upon what can only be haven for antique collectors. The eclectic collection of everything antique and vintage at ‘The Antiques Garage’, Chelsea, is bound to give a shopgasm (that’s the shopaholic’s orgasm) to anyone who likes collecting antiques.

Ask anyone who’s been to the famous and almost eccentric Antiques Garage, and they’ll tell you that it is a two-story playground filled with antique collections that make for supersonic entertainment. New York’s grown over the years to invite into its hold a number of flea markets that have changed the way people have shopped over the years. In spite of these new (and more popular) flea markets, I chose to come back time and again to this peculiar antiques market.

Dolls and Dollhouse Toys Adorn Booths
While it isn’t uncommon to see African masks or dollhouse toys on display, the one item that has caught my fancy over the years is their display of antique lingerie. While lingerie from the Victorian era is not something I’d want to be caught dead in, looking at it on display sure makes you wonder about how things worked in that era (ahem ahem). So the lingerie from practically every era gone by is a definite see if and when you’re at The Antiques Garage, Chelsea.

Regardless of all the items on display here, the most endearing part remains the stories that these walls can tell you. Not only are the items here vintage, the dealers and their stories have survived eras too. While I scoured around the garage, I met Pitigoi for the first time. He’s a man in his 80s, who has been selling watches at the garage ever since his childhood days.

While recent reports I read suggested that The Antiques Garage was to be displaced given NYC’s gentrification; news from locals has proven to usher in a sigh of relief. The garage gets to continue at their current location on a month-to-month lease. While this might not be the best option of them all, it is an option nonetheless!

Jewels on Display
Before NYC loses out on this one jewel of time, make sure you pay it a visit. I’d bet on one simple fact – Even if you believe you’re not into antiques and vintage items, you’d turn into a fan with one visit here!


About The Antiques Garage:



No comments:

Post a Comment